Aims of Supervision in Spiritual Direction
- To arrive at a deeper and more nuanced self-knowledge and self-understanding
- To recognise areas of weakness and strength as a spiritual director
- To notice any affective attitudes, areas of resistance, psychological or emotional blocks in life struggles that prevent spiritual directors from helping directees explore their experience in depth or savour their experience of God
Completing this course will help you to:
- Notice God’s felt presence and/or lack of affective presence in a session
- Savour, enjoy, linger with, respond to God’s presence there
- Evoke feelings and insights related to a director’s unawareness of God’s felt presence
- Notice more keenly movements and counter movements in the directee
- Savour, enjoy and appreciate a directee’s personal and relational growth
- Understand key dynamics of the spiritual direction process as these come alive in a director’s experience of either direction or supervision
Who is the course for?
This material is for those enrolled in Soul Journey Companions or Listen into Life and supplements the workshops on Supervision.
Use this guide to make connections between the content and your experience of supervision in Quads/Peer Supervision Group or with your course supervisor.
Write or type your reflections and questions.
Reflection Guide (Word Doc.)
Peer Supervision Group
Read pages 4 and 5 from the Supervision Booklet.
Note the flow of the session, the preparation required, the number of verbatim (a written record of part of the dialogue that occurred in a spiritual direction session that you had with an outside directee) that must be developed and so forth.
Write any questions for clarification in your reflection book.
Read on in the Supervision Booklet. Take each section in turn. (Working with an Outside Directee, Spiritual Direction Verbatim, Spuervision Log, First Meeting, Closing Session.)
Write any questions you have after each section.
Reread the Supervision Booklet and answer as many of your own questions as possible.