3 years part-time
This training program in spiritual direction, based in Canberra, is designed for those:
who sense that God is calling them to the ministry of spiritual direction, and
are looking for a community in which this call can be explored, discerned and nurtured.
During the first two years, participants engage in monthly lectures, workshops, quadrads and seminars, over two semesters each year. The focus of these inputs is on spirituality and spiritual direction together with regular worship drawing on various Christian traditions. There are 8 Friday/Saturday workshops each year. The third year is an intern year which is a supervised practicum with individual supervision and monthly group meetings.
The dates for 2019 are:
This program invites those who undertake it, both lay and ordained people, to embark on a journey involving personal transformation – in the process of discerning the call to this ministry and receiving training in becoming soul companions for others.
Spiritual Direction is:
- Accompanying people on their journey of life and faith
- Prayerful conversation between two people
- Listening for the flow of the Spirit
- Assisting directees to respond to God’s movement in ways that are healing, just and reconciling for all creation.
To assist you to develop the above skills the program includes the following units:
- Spiritual Direction Theory and Praxis
- Exploring Spirituality
- Art of Direction
To apply to participate in the program you need to submit:
- A Soul Companions Application Form together with the requested Life History .
- A brief spiritual autobiography indicating the pattern of development in your spiritual life and present sense of God.
- A brief statement indicating your reasons for undertaking the course.
- A letter of recommendation from your Spiritual Director and/or Minister/Pastor/Priest – see outline of required content.
- A registration fee of $50 that is nonrefundable but will be deducted from the tuition fee for the commencing year.
Download the Soul Companions brochure (Oct 2018)
Download the Soul Companions participant course outline
Contact Sue Dunbar at Barnabas Ministries: phone 0479 119 438 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
or email email@example.com